My thoughts about
maybe going camper-vanning
in Europe.
         Contact me.

This page updated: May 2006

Overview section
Buying A Van section
Places To Go section


"Motor Homing in Europe" by Steve Hunt
Myths about driving in Europe
excerpts from "Road Trip Europe" book
Jim Franklin's "An RV in Europe" book

Buying A Van

Ways to buy:

Summarized from deguru's "Campervanning in Europe - Buying the Van":

From IdeaMerge - Motorhome-Camper Purchase:
"It is no longer legal for a non-resident of a European Union country to obtain normal registration and in turn to insure a vehicle in such country." If you own and register the vehicle yourself, you must get "the compulsory (minimum third-party liability, international 'green card') insurance sold on the open market which is very expensive for tourists". If you have a European company "carry the insurance and registration for you, ... you will effectively have normal registration and plates and you will pay just a bit more than does a resident for insurance ..."

From IdeaMerge - Motorhome-Camper Purchase:
"Many countries require of foreign drivers no license apart from a valid domestic drivers license. However, Austria, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Italy, Portugal, and Spain do require non-Europeans to carry an International Driving Permit (IDP) along with their domestic license. Bulgaria and the Czech Republic require all non-resident drivers to carry an IDP. ... The local office of your auto club (AAA, CAA, etc.) sells IDPs for about US$21. If you need an IDP, take your license, two passport-sized photos and the requisite cash to the club office."

From "Motor Homing in Europe" by Steve Hunt:

Places To Go

From deguru's "Campervanning in Europe":

Search my site: